Maintaining healthy teeth starts at home. Prevention is key! This is why it is important to teach children from a young age to have good oral hygiene habits. If you are struggling to encourage your child to perform oral hygiene habits than these tips may help!
1. Fun and Entertaining YouTube Video: Showing your child some fun and entertaining YouTube videos on how to brush teeth and possibly of their favourite cartoon character brushing their teeth will surely encourage them to do so as well.
2. Become a Good Example: Children tend to mimic what their parents do, so it is important that you show your child that you also brush your teeth 2 times a day. Perhaps, you can brush your teeth together.
3. Education: Instead of just telling them to brush their teeth, try to also explain why brushing their teeth is important. You can refer to bacteria growing in the mouth as ‘little monsters’ that will try to eat away their tooth!
4. Choosing a Toothbrush: Involve your child in the process of choosing a toothbrush. If they like the toothbrush they have, they will be more excited to use it daily.
5. Monitor: Always watch over your child as they are brushing their teeth and try to correct their technique. Overtime they will become more experienced and this will lay down the foundation a life time of good oral hygiene.
We hope this helps! Good luck and if you have any more questions or are concerned about your child’s oral hygiene, call us on (02) 9558 8988 to book an appointment with one of our friendly dentists!